Clancy & Theys Wins Design and Construction Awards for VA Projects
This awards season, Clancy & Theys Construction Company was honored for its exemplary work in Virginia by multiple organizations, including the Associated Builders and Contractors’ Virginia Chapter (ABCVA), the Hampton Roads Association for Commercial Real Estate (HRACRE), the American Institute of Architects Virginia Chapter (AIA Virginia), and the Norfolk Preservation Collective. Overall, five projects received 12 different awards, including top honors at HRACRE’s Excellence in Development Design Awards.
“Despite the many challenges of building during a pandemic, our design and construction teams worked tirelessly to deliver exceptional facilities,” said Bill Goggins, Vice President/Virginia Division Manager. “Each team member’s dedication and skill contributed immeasurably to our success, and it is with great pride that we accept these numerous awards alongside our entire project teams.”
Assembly | Norfolk, VA
Architect: Work Program Architects and Campfire & Co
This 49,000 SF historic adaptive reuse project that transformed a former department store built in 1910 into a collaborative office space received:
- ABCVA’s Honor Award of Excellence in the Commercial/Residential Renovation (Over $1M) category;
- Norfolk Preservation Collective’s Preservation Award of Excellence in the Commercial category;
- Norfolk Preservation Collective’s People’s Choice Award;
- AIA Virginia’s Award of Merit in the Adaptive or Continued Use category;
- HRACRE’s Award of Excellence in the Best Renovated or Historic Rehabilitation Project category; and
- HRACRE’s Jurors’ Choice award, an honor given to the most notable project overall.
The Constitution | Virginia Beach, VA
Architect: Cox, Kliewer & Company, P.C.
This mixed-use multi-family community with modern apartments, resort-quality amenities, and ground floor commercial space was awarded:
- ABCVA’s Merit Award of Excellence in the Residential Multi-Family category; and
- ABCVA’s Allegiance Award, an honor given to the project with the most ABC subcontractors.
Barry Art Museum | Norfolk, VA
Architect: Saunders + Crouse Architects
The 24,000 SF museum that houses art from the collection of benefactors Richard and Carolyn Barry, including many early modern American paintings and Studio Art Glassworks, won:
- HRACRE’s Award of Merit in the Best Institutional/Public Building category.
- Norfolk Preservation Collective’s Preservation Award of Excellence in the Mixed-Use category; and
- Norfolk Preservation Collective’s Preservation Award of Excellence in the Flood Prevention category.
City of Norfolk Municipal Center Conceptual Design
Architect: PMA Architecture
This conceptual project that was designed to transform a vacated department store into a modern office space was awarded:
- HRACRE’s Award of Merit in the Best Conceptual Project category.